Animal Husbandry and Veterinary is one of the major departments of Government of Assam. The Department is responsible for matters relating to livestock production, preservation, protection from disease and improvement of stocks and dairy development. It also looks after all matters pertaining to fishing and fisheries. The Department plays a vital role in socio-economic development of the rural mass in particular and the state as a whole and has substantial contribution towards GDP growth.
1. To increase production of milk, meat, egg etc.
2. To facilitate hygienic animal products.
3. To reduce disease occurrence and mortality of livestock and birds through timely preventive and curative measures.
4. To increase crossbred livestock population through induction and upgradation programme.
5. To establish and popularise backyard farming of poultry and other birds.
6. To popularise small ruminants and piggery farming.
7. To render doorstep Artificial Insemination and other services.
8. To render extension services in order to provide self employment opportunities amongst unemployed youths and under privileged of the state.