The Institute of Veterinary Biologicals (IVB) started functioning at Chenikuthi, Guwahati in the year 1950-51 with a license to produce goat tissue vaccine (wet type) against Rinderpest (RP) or Cattle plague under the Rinderpest Eradication Programme. In 1966-67, the Institute was shifted to Khanapara under a scheme titled as “Expansion of Biological Production Section” for large scale vaccine production. The scheme started working in the year 1970 with the production of Freeze Dried (F.D.) R.P. and other viral and bacterial vaccines. Later on it was raised to regional status through financial assistance from North Eastern Council (NEC) during the 5th and 6th five year plan. Till date this is the only vaccine producing centre in the entire NE region. Today, the institute is holding the credit of supplying the vaccines not only to the NE states but also to the other states like Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Jammu & Kashmir, Andaman Nicober island and several defense organizations. The neighbouring country like Bhutan has also benefited from this institute.
Aim and Objective:
* To produce quality vaccines against the livestock and poultry diseases commonly prevalent in the North Eastern Region.
* To provide sufficient confidence to the breeder of the region to adapt Animal husbandry as an industry for their economic up liftman with appropriate health coverage.
* To keep co-ordination with various research laboratories and organization for recent development in vaccine production technology.
* To introduce new vaccines in the Veterinary field from laboratory.
There are three production related laboratories in I.V.B.-
* Bacterial Vaccine production laboratory: Deals with the production of bacterial vaccines.
* Viral vaccine production laboratory: Deals with the production of viral vaccines.
* Quality control laboratory: Deals with quality testing of the vaccines produced.
Dr. Sachiram Malakar
Institute Of Veterinary Biologicals
Department of AH & Veterinary
Khanpara, Guwahati - 781022
mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Institute of Veterinary Biologicals-Vaccine Production||63 KB|
|Institute of Veterinary Biologicals-Ongoing Programms||271.16 KB|